Austin – No. 11/12 Texas (4-0) took down Louisiana Tech (2-1) 96-44 on Sunday at Moody Center.
The Longhorns never trailed during the game. Texas started off hot with an 11-0 run off of 100 percent shooting which forced the Lady Techsters to call a timeout at the 6:51 marker in the first quarter. After the timeout, Texas picked up where they left off by closing out the quarter with a 30-10 lead. The first quarter saw both senior Taylor Jones and graduate Shaylee Gonzales score ten points for the Horns. Jones also collected four rebounds, three blocks, and one assist in the period.
Texas replicated their efforts in the second quarter with swarming defense and efficient shooting, outpacing Louisiana Tech 24-9 to make the halftime score 54-19. The Longhorns turned over the Lady Techsters nine times in the quarter and eighteen times in the half, scoring 28 points off of takeaways. Texas finished the first half shooting at a 60 percent clip from the field, with a clear emphasis on getting the ball into the paint where they scored 26 of their 54 first half points. Texas also tallied 16 total assists heading into the break, with junior Rori Harmon dishing out eight of her own.
The Longhorns never looked back in the second half, and they finished the game having outscored Louisiana Tech in every quarter. Jones finished the game with 25 points, tying her career high. Additionally, Harmon closed out the game with a team high 11 assists, and sophomore Amina Muhammad’s day ended with 12 points on 4-5 shooting.
Up next, the Longhorns are slated for a Thanksgiving Day matchup against Arizona State at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT with the game being televised on ESPN+.
• Texas picks up their third win in a row against LA Tech, and their fourth this season, moving to 4-0 for the season.
• The Longhorns dominated in the paint with 54 paint points and outrebounded the Lady Techsters 43-20. Texas now has a 212-86 advantange in points in the paint over opponents through four games this season.
• After grabbing 18 offensive rebounds, Texas won the second chance points battle 24-0, improving the margin to 92-20 on the season. This is the second game in which the Longhorn defense has not given up any second chance opportunities.
• Across 160 minutes of action, the Longhorns have taken the lead and never trailed in any of their games.
• With LA Tech’s 29 turnovers, Texas has now forced over 100 turnovers on the season. Texas capitalized by outscoring LA Tech 41-6 on points off turnovers. Texas has forced 107 turnovers and has committed 45 turnovers themselves this season.
• Texas jumped out to an early lead with a 25-2 run to begin the game over the first seven minutes and 21 seconds, as senior Shaylee Gonzales opened the scoring and led the way alongside senior Taylor Jones with 10 points apiece by the end of the quarter.
• Texas limited LA Tech to just nine points in the second quarter, their fifth quarter this season holding an opponent to single-digit scoring.
• Senior Taylor Jones with back-to-back 20+ point performances, as she had a tied career-high 25 points, eight rebounds, and a season-high five blocks
• Junior Rori Harmon dished out a season-high 11 assists, and a season-high five steals, scoring eight points and securing seven rebounds. It is the 13th game of her career Harmon has tallied double digit assists.
• Sophomore Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda had an efficient season-high 15 points, shooting six of nine from the field and three for three from the foul line.
• Sophomore Amina Muhammad had her third game of the season with double digit scoring and finished the night with 12 points.
• After scoring her first collegiate points in the last game, sophomore Jordana Codio scored a career-high eight points shooting a perfect three-of-three from the floor, and hitting two threes.
• Texas connected on 15-of-18 (83.3 percent) from the free-throw line.
• Texas shot 38-of-68 (55.9 percent) from the field and assisted on 25 of their 38 field goals. The Longhorns have shot over 50 percent in back-to-back games.